Saturday, August 19, 2006

We are relational because He is relational

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Luke 10:38-42 (New International Version)

I included the whole story, so that those who aren't familiar may better understand verses 41 and 42 that I want to focus on. Here Jesus is telling and showing us that He is relational and that is what He desires from us and for us. He doesn't want us to be caught up in traditions or daily tasks that we miss out on the main thing. HIM! (it's about him not our good deeds) Wow, as I write this I'm realizing there are so many different things for us to take away from this story. Martha wanted to be recognized for all the things that she had done and essentially that Mary had not done. Jesus was more touched by Mary who was wanting to know him, he didn't care about her doings. (were not judged on our past) Ok, so these two may sound like the same thing only a said different, I guess they are but they aren't. There was one other thing I was going to say about this verse, but it seems to have slipped my memory...
Life happens best in communities, especially when the community revolves around Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home