Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Bed time prayer

          I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will     keep me safe. ~Psalm 4:8

 

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I shall die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

 

Did you ever say this prayer before you went to sleep? When I was little it was one of the easily recited prayer that I say every night rarely thinking about the words. In middle school maybe high school I'm sure I had taken a moment to think about what the prayer was saying, only to conclude that it was slightly morbid. It's been a long time since I've said this prayer now, only today did I stumble on this verse in Psalm, did I remember my childhood bed time prayer. I see it now as quite a perfect prayer to say before we sleep, and love that I can now attach a verse from the Word of God to it. Speaking/praying with the Truth always strengthens/empowers our prayers to another level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home